Thursday 5 March 2015

Hip to be hot? I don’t think so.

In the past two weeks I have had to say au revoir to my basil seedlings, ornamental cabbage (Brassica oleracea) and daffodils (Narcissus ‘Hawera’). Why? Because of a poorly positioned radiator and ill-advised plant placement. It has engrained in me a lifelong lesson, though: it’s all about location, location, location.

When deciding on plants, whether they'll be ending up indoors or outside, you need to think about the environment they’re going into, and what suits where best.

My desk is right in front of my radiator because it’s also in front of the window (I know, top-notch efficiency planning there), so the plants can receive enough light. It was fine in summer, but as we have been plunged into the bitter cold, the radiator has been turned on full-blast. Silly me, I didn’t realise how it would affect the lovelies – which have dried out and buckled under the intense heat, despite efforts to bring them back. They certainly weren’t helped by an impromptu weekend away (to Swansea, so not quite an exotic holiday).

My succulents, however, have loved the dry, hot environment. My heather (Calluna vulgaris) seems to have survived. Though it appeared a little dry at first, it has now perked up after more frequent watering.


Find out about positioning plants here.

No comments:

Post a Comment